ALIENS LAND IN CAPITAL CITY!!

ALIENS LAND IN CAPITAL CITY!!
Okay, very small aliens that got here in a flying colander....

Sunday, 20 July 2008

Recommended reading

I know this blog is meant to be about ME, ME, ME, but it seems to be mostly about my friend Susie - I didn't realise it would turn out this way, but I suppose it's because I see her quite often and she's kind of a mixture of my friend and my big sister and my boss and mentor and role-model, in a way. Anyway, just so you know I know, and it's not weird really. It's not like I'm stalking her. I just have lots of contact and know what's going on in her world and mind, and it's quite interesting really.

Today for instance she was telling me about this American woman writer (sorry, I shouldn't say woman writer, Susie says it's the kind of sexist and pointless label that ought to have been abandoned eons ago) Ursula K Le Guin. Normally when people tell you about an author whose work they love you go 'Oh, right, uh-huh, okay, well, mm, that sounds very interesting', but then you read them and make your own mind up and usually it's some kind of book you just don't enjoy at all, and you have to wonder about what the inside of their head is like if they actually like that kind of writing.

But when Susie says something about an author or their work I know she means 'Marina, you'd better go and find out all you can, because I'm an authority and I'll be very disappointed if you don't take the hint, and I WILL be asking questions later' - so I do.

So I've put a link to Ursula K Le Guin's site on the Stuff I Like list, because even just the front page of her website is really interesting, all the islands on that map etc, makes you want to explore. And I will, when I've finished doing this.

No comments: