ALIENS LAND IN CAPITAL CITY!!

ALIENS LAND IN CAPITAL CITY!!
Okay, very small aliens that got here in a flying colander....

Monday, 14 July 2008

My word against anyone else's

Sometimes one of my friends will say "Marina, you're so funny, you should write a book" - but Susie says I shouldn't. She says (and after all she has been a proper book critic for about 15 years now) that there are too many books in the world, day after day, and too many people being encouraged to stuff their miserable childhoods and their narcissistic little fantasy f*cks into dull novels (her words, not mine!!) and they ought to be discouraged. In fact, she doesn't approve of blogging either. She's almost a Luddite (a brilliant word, I can't remember who Ludd was exactly, something to do with the industrial revolution and machinery?).

On the other hand, she does teach people about writing - at least, she listens to people talk about their writing and makes suggestions, and is genuinely helpful, and kind, but she says she can't teach, because she doesn't really know what she knows until somebody askes her something. On the subject of what she doesn't know, yesterday she said "don't ask me the difference between an adverb and an adjective, for Christ's sake, I'd have to think about it for five minutes, which would be five minutes better spent staring out of the window, frankly." I could explain adverbs v. adjectives to her but I'm pretty sure she'd roll her eyes at me for being literal.


No comments: